Metamorphic petrochronology: Analysis of phase relation, thermobarometry and in situ geochronology in order to solve fundamental problems in the fields of:
- Determination of P-T-t-d paths of individual samples
- Micro-mapping technique: development and improvement of XMapTools software
- Petrogenesis of metamorphic rocks and scale of equilibrium domains: local bulk composition measurements and inversion of forward thermodynamic models (programs: Bingo-Antidote & GRTMOD)
- Thermodynamic properties and models of complex solid solutions; kinetics and phase equilibria
- Micro-dating techniques: LA-ICP-MS and SIMS measurements (U-Th-Pb, allanite, monazite and zircon)
- Geodynamic and structural evolution of orogenic belts: Internal western Alps (Briançonnais, Sesia and Liguro-Piémontais zones) and Himalaya (Western syntaxe)
Aug. 2015 – present: Research Assistant (Assistant Professor) & EPMA Laboratory Manager, Institute of Geological Sciences – University of Bern.
2013 – 2015: Research Assistant (Assistant Professor), Institute of Geological Sciences – University of Bern.
2012 – 2013: SNF Postdoctoral fellow, Institute of Geological Sciences – University of Bern.
2009-2012: PhD student and Teaching Assistant, ISTerre University of Grenoble. Supervisors: O. Vidal and S. Schwartz. Ph.D. Thesis: Lanari, P. (2012). P-T-e Micro-mapping in metamorphic rocks. Application to the Alps and the Himalaya. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Grenoble, p. 544 Manuscript.
2008-2009: Master M2R, ISTerre University of Grenoble 1, supervisors: S. Guillot, P. Tricart. Master Thesis: Lanari, P. (2009) Structural and metamorphic evolution of the metasediments in the french Zone briançonnaise (Briançon, Guillestre), first Pressure-Temperature estimates. Master Thesis, University of Grenoble, p. 38 Manuscript.
Awards and Honors
- 2017: Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Petrology & Volcanology Division Outstanding Early Career Scientist Awards from the European Geoscience Union (link)
- 2013: Haüy-Lacroix medal of the Société Française de Minéralogie et de Cristallographie (link)
- 2013: University of Grenoble medal for outstanding thesis (link)
- France: Université de Grenoble; Université Nice Sophia-Antipolis; Université Lille 1; Université Jean-Monnet (Saint-Étienne); Université de Franche-Comté (Besançon); Université de Lorraine (Nancy); Université d’Orléans; Université de Montpellier
- Switzerland: UNIL (Lausanne); University of Basel
- Canada: Geological Survey of Canada
- Germany: University of Potsdam; University of Kiel
- USA: American Museum of Natural History (NY); University of Charlotte; Boise State University
- Australia: CURTIN University; University of South Australia
- Brazil: Geological Survey of Brazil
- Norway: University of Bergen
- Finland: University of Helsinki
- Spain: Universitat de Barcelona
- Chile: Universidad Austral de Chile
- Advanced skills in MATLAB© (statistics, image and signal processing, nonlinear optimization), Graphic User Interface (GUI) Development and thermodynamics modeling
- Electron microprobe (JEOL JXA-8200; Cameca SX50; Cameca SX100); 2 years of experience as EPMA laboratory manager
- La-ICP-MS (Elan 6100; in situ U-Th-Pb dating and trace elements analysis)
- SIMS (Cameca IMS 1280-HR; in situ U-Th-Pb dating)
- Ar-Ar dating techniques (Step-heating)
- RAMAN (graphite thermometry), SEM
- Polished thin-section preparation
- Mineral separation and hand-picking
- Experience in XANES analysis (ESRF syncrotron – Grenoble)
Supervision of Doctoral Students
- (10) Angel Santamaria Lopez (co-supervisor * (30%, 4 months stay at the University of Bern), University of Malaga; 2014-2018) – tectono-metamorphic evolution of the Nevado-Filabride complex (Betic, Spain).
- (9) Valentin Laurent (co-supervisor * (30%), Université d’Orléans; 2013-2017) – Strain localization in high-pressure low-temperature shear zones and the argon isotopic record.
- (8) Mahyra Tedeschi (co-supervisor * (33%), Univ. Minas Gérais & Univ. Bern; 2014-2017) – Unravelling P-T-t evolution of the southern Brasilia Origen.
- (7) Laura Airaghi (co-supervisor * (50%), Univ. Grenoble; 2014-2017) – The importance of geological inheritance in the short term/long term deformation and in the thickening of the Eastern border of Tibetan plateau.
- (6) Camille Litty (co-supervisor * (20%), Univ. Bern; 2013-2017) – Erosional mechanisms and fluvial sediment transport in the Western Peruvian Andes.
- (5) Marco Burn (co-supervisor * (50%), Univ. Bern; 2012-2016) – LA-ICP-QMS Th-U/Pb allanite dating: methods and applications.
- (4) Chloé Loury (co-supervisor * (33%), Univ. Nice; 2013-2016) – Palezoic structuration of the Tianshan range and and role of tectonic inheritance (Kyrgyzstan).
- (3) Francesco Guintoli (co-supervisor * (33%), Univ. Bern; 2011-2015) – P-T-t-d evolution of the Sesia Zone (Aosta Valley, Western Alps).
- (2) Barbara Kunz (co-supervisor (20%), Univ Bern; 2011-2016) – Petrochronological evolution of the lower continental crust fragments of the Sesia Zone.
- (1) Vincent Trincal (co-supervisor * (20%), Univ. Franche-Comté; 2011-2014). Fluid-rock interaction in greenschist facies faults.
Supervision of Undergraduate & Graduate Students
- (11) Silvia Lomonte (co-supervisor (50%, 3 weeks stay at the University of Bern), Master thesis, Pisa 2017-2017) – Tectono-metamorphic evolution of the Massa Unit: an integrated approach (N-Apennines, Italy).
- (10) Inès Naïr (co-supervisor (25%), Master 2 thesis, Orléans 2016) – Tectonometamorphic evolution of a fossilized subduction channel: Insights from a multi- thermobarometry approach (Cycladic Blueschist Unit, Syros, Greece).
- (9) Simon Hafner (co-supervisor (33%), Master thesis, Bern 2016) – The thermal peak in metamorphic black shales: Gradients in the Valaisan units and contrast to tectonic neighbours.
- (8) Aude Verly (co-supervisor (50%), Master 2 thesis, Grenoble 2015) – Tectono-metamorphic evolution of the Alpine continental subduction (Acceglio, Western Alps).
- (7) Rahel Baumann (co-supervisor (30%), Bachelor thesis, Bern 2015) – Zwischen Hammer und Amboss: Wie gerieten die schwarzen Schiefer um Brig zwischen den penninischen Deckenstappel und das Aar-Massiv?
- (6) Aude Verly (co-supervisor (33%), Master 1 thesis, Grenoble 2014) – Pre-collision structural and metamorphic evolution of the Briançonnais sedimentary cover (Montgenèvre, Western Alps).
- (5) Chloé Loury (co-supervisor (33%), Master 2 thesis, Nice 2013) – HP metamorphism in Atbashi range (South Tianshan, Kyrgyzstan): evidence for eclogites exhumation in a sedimentary subduction channel.
- (4) Valentin Nigg (co-supervisor (25%), Bachelor thesis, Bern 2013) – Rb-Sr analyses of carbonates (internal zone, central Alps).
- (3) Stefanie Diener (co-supervisor (25%), Bachelor thesis, Bern, 2013) – Petrological study of magmatic intrusions using microprobe X-ray images (Central Alps).
- (2) Blandine Gardonio (supervisor (100%), Master 1 thesis, Grenoble, 2012) – P-T estimate in chloritoid-grade metasediments using a multi-equilibrium approach and X-ray images.
- (1) Félix Bernier (co-supervisor (50%), Master 1 thesis, Grenoble, 2011) – Chlorite-mica-chloritoid equilibria in green-schist facies metasediments (Urseren outcrop, Central Alps).
- Convener (with M. Kohn & Martin Engi) of a session at GSA-2017: Petrochronology: Advances and Applications to Petrogenesis and Tectonics. (T163)
- Convener (with E. Janots & S. Ferrero) of a session at EGU-2017: Progress in Metamorphic Geology: Petrochronology (including GMPV Division Outstanding ECS Award Lecture) (GMPV3.4)
- Convener (with A. Paul & G. Hetényi) of a session at EGU-2016: The Alps and European Alpine-type orogens: a multidisciplinary vision (TS6.2/GD6.6/SM6.16)
- Convener (with S. Ferrerro, P. Gonclaves and E. Grosch) of a session at EGU-2016: Progress in metamorphic geology and geodynamic processes in high-grade metamorphic terrains (GMPV2.3/GD8.7)
- Convener (with E. Grosch, P. Goncalves and S. Ferrero) of a session at the EGU-2015: Contributions to metamorphic geology (GMPV2.4/IG18)
- Convener (with M. Kohn, B. Hacker and M. Engi) of a session at the AGU-2014: Petrochronology (V54B)
- Convener (with E. Grosch and P. Goncalvez) of a session at the EGU-2014: Frontiers in metamorphic petrology and the evolution of metamorphic belts (GMPV18/TS7.10)
Invited Seminar Presentations and Keynotes
- 2017: University of Montpellier; EGU-2017 Vienna; Geosciences: a tool in a changing world, Pisa-2017
- 2016: American Museum of Science (NY)
- 2015: ETH Zurich; University of Orléans; University of Kiel; University of Bern
- 2014: UNIL Lausanne; University of Bern; ISTerre Grenoble; University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis
- 2013: University Franche-Comté (Besançon); SFMC Paris
- 2012: University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis; University of Jean-Monnet (Saint-Étienne)
Editorial Work and Reviews
- Invited editor: Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry (2016-2017); GSL Special publications (2017-2018)
- Reviewer for scientific journals: Lithos; Journal of Petrology; Journal of Metamorphic Geology; American Mineralogist; Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry; Tectonophysics; Journal of Geodynamics; Lithosphere; Applied Geochemistry; Minerals; Computers & Geosciences; International Journal of Physical Sciences
- Reviewer for funding agencies: INSU (France)
Professional Memberships (current only)
- Société Française de Minéralogie et Cristallographie (membre du comité scientifique et webmaster)
- European Geosciences Union (EGU); Early Career Scientist co-representative of the GMPV division and webmaster (2017-present).
- Geochemical Society (GS)
- European Association of Geochemistry (EAG)
- Geological Society of America (GSA)
- Mineralogical Society of America (MSA)
- 2017: Mapping and metamorphism. Ivrea, Italy – 3 days*
- 2016: Mapping and metamorphism. Ivrea, Italy – 3 days*
- 2015: Petrology. Piora, Switzerland – 7 days*.
- 2015: Volcanology. Eifel, Germany – 10 days*
- 2015: Mapping and metamorphism. Ivrea, Italy – 3 days*
- 2014: Metamorphic petrology. Alps, France + Italy – 2 weeks
- 2014: Petrology. Varallo, Italy – 4 days*
- 2014: Mapping and metamorphism. Ivrea, Italy – 3 days*
- 2013: Petrology. Adamello, Italy – 8 days*
- 2013: Metamorphic petrology. Sesia Zone, Italy – 1 week
- 2013: Petrology. Varallo, Italy – 4 days*
- 2013: Volcanology. Gran Canaria, Spain – 12 days*
- 2013: Mapping and metamorphism. Ivrea, Italy – 3 days*
- 2011: Metamorphism and deformation. Granada, Spain – 2 days
- 2011: Tectonophysics. Montagne Noire, France – 5 days*
- 2010: Metamorphism in a paleo-subduction wedge. Schistes Lustrés, Queyras, France and Italy – 1 week
- 2010: Tectonophysics. Montagne Noire, France – 5 days*
- 2009: Metamorphism and structural geology in the Briançonnais area. Guillestre – Briançon, France – 3 weeks
- 2009: Tectonophysics. Montagne Noire, France – 5 days*
- 2008: Sedimentary, structural and petrological analyses of a foreland basin. Champsaur, France – 8 days
- 2008: Pluridisciplinary geological analyses in the Western Alps. Queyras, France – 8 days
- 2008: Petrology, cartography and volcanology. Massif Central, France – 5 days
- 2008: Stratigraphy and structural analyses of a foreland basin. Bareme, France – 4 days
- 2007: Metamorphism in a paleo-subduction channel. Viso, Italy – 3 days
- 2007: Tectonophysics. Montagne Noire, France – 5 days
- 2006: Structural geology and metamorphism. Massif central, France – 5 days
- 2006: Sedimentary and structural geology. Corbières, France – 5 days
- 2009-2012 : PhD thesis (University of Grenoble, France)
- 2007-2009 : Master in Geology (University Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France)
- 2004-2007 : Bachelor in Geology (University of Savoie, Chambéry, France)